ActiveSpaces provides an application programming interface (API) that allows developers to store and retrieve data, and implement database and messaging functionality. ActiveSpaces also provides an administrative CLI tool and an administrative GUI that is used to create and administer the data grid. This makes it easy to create distributed applications that exchange and modify data shared between processes and across a network.
Benefits of TIBCO ActiveSpaces
• Coherent, in-memory, data storage and retrieval.
• Several network data transport options, including TCP, TIBCO Rendezvous, and TIBCO SmartPGM.
• An API which can be used to develop custom applications that utilize the features of ActiveSpaces. An API is available
for the Java, C, and .NET programming languages.
ActiveSpaces facilitates and speeds up storage and retrieval of data in a distributed manner so that you can concentrate on writing business logic. You do not have to worry about where to store new data, where current data is stored, or if it is out-of-date.
In addition, ActiveSpaces:
- Combines database features with a simple, easy to use middleware management system.
- Supports many hardware and software platforms, so programs running on many different kinds of computers on a network can communicate seamlessly.
- Allows programmers to easily implement distributed processing of the data stored in ActiveSpaces while leveraging “data locality” using remote invocation functionality.
- Scales linearly and transparently machines/peers are added. An increase in the number of peers in a space produces a corresponding increase in the memory and processing power available to the space.
- Allows your application to continue to function smoothly without code modification or restarts.
- Allows you to implement shared-all persistence or shared-nothing persistence to persist space data on local storage media.
- Ensures that any change in data is reflected on all nodes as it happens and that no node will deliver stale data when reading or querying data from any node.
From the programmer’s perspective, the ActiveSpaces software suite provides the following benefits.
• Is distributed for speed, resiliency, and scalability
• Simplifies distributed system development
• Provides location transparency: there is no need to worry about where or how to store or find data
• Decouples producers and consumers of data
• Allows applications to be notified automatically as soon as data is modified